Database migration can be explained as the procedure of moving data, metadata entries and logic units between different storage types, platforms, or systems. The corporations and businesses today may need to move their data warehouses for various reasons, such as server or storage area equipment maintenance, replacements, or updates, request migration, website consolidation and data center relocation. The migration procedure includes moving the following entries and categories: table structures, data, indexes, constraints, views, causes, stored types of procedures and processes, users accounts, jobs, and permissions.
Databases may be migrated physically or programmatically by using an advanced program known as database migration tools. The manual way usually includes these steps:
- Export table meanings along with indexes and constraints from the foundation databases in form of SQL assertions
- You have to convert these statements so that they need to become the destination form format and transfer to the mark database
- Export data that are related to the foundation database into an intermediate storage area like comma separated values (CSV) files
- You need to change this data just in line with the destination form format and load it into the target database
- Extract views, stored methods/functions, and causes from the initial databases in the form of SQL statements and code
- Convert these statements and code into the destination form format and load into the focus on database
Immediately after launching the new program, the completed data must be verified to be able to find out if the databases were properly moved, complete and possess appropriate works with for programs in the new system. It could be recommended to perform both source and destination data source systems concurrently throughout the confirmation process to ascertain parts of disparity and forestall the increased loss of data or problem.
For a big and advanced project of the database migration, it is best performed programmatically to acquire a programmed process flow, alleviating recruiting of challenging duties. It is vital to select the best tool to relocate the database in the expected time-frame without lack of data or facing any problem.
The following is the set of primary functions that may be made available by using outstanding database migration tools:
- All recent editions of source and vacation spot DBMS are supported
- Table meanings, indexes, and constraints are modified with all necessary attributes
- Conversion options must be stored in an account for next use
- Full Unicode support
- Option to personalize types mapping, change rules, etc
- Command range support
- Comprehensive paperwork and 24/7 support service
There are some software vendors on the market offering committed resources to automate database migration. Among such companies are Intelligent Converters employed in the field of migration, database transformation, and synchronization since 2001. They create a multitude of transformation tool that helps migrate directories between all well-known database management systems like the MySQL, PostgreSQL, Microsoft Access, Oracle, SQL Server, FoxPro and Azure SQL, SQLite. Go to Intelligent Converters site to learn more about the company and their database migration software.